1. 10” Contractor Table Saw – Buy the nicest one you can afford. You will use it more than any other tool for almost any cutting task you have.
2. Power Drill(s) – Get a 18 volt cordless drill with a quick “chuck” which will let you change the bits quickly without a chuck key. If you can afford it, buy a corded ½” drill for larger projects.
3. Sliding Compound Miter Saw – You will use this for cutting dimensional framing lumber, crown molding and any other complicated compound cuts.
4. Small Orbital Sander – These can be very handy and are not very expensive. They are very nice for finish work and the pads are easy to change.
5. Wormdrive Circular Saw – Buy a heavy one with a strong motor.
6. Router – No shop is complete without a really good router.
7. Reciprocating Saw – This is a must for demolition! Get a decent one and you won’t regret it!
8. Combo Compressor/Nailer Kit – Get one that comes with a finish nailer, brad nailer and a crown stapler.
Make sure you purchase decent brands so your tools last longer and are more reliable. You get what you pay for in power tools. Porter-Cable and Milwaukee Tools are well made brands will give you years more of use than the cheaper brands.