Planning is essential when building a new home, and the following 10 guidelines will help ensure the process is smooth and that the final outcome will be your dream home without breaking your budget.
1. Design – Your home should match your lifestyle and needs. You should visualize every room to be sure you want to live in it!
2. Wishlist – Make a list of your “must haves” and the items that are optional. These will be important to work out when fitting the budget to your dream home.
3. Regulations – Be sure you and your builder know all requirements for zoning, allowable setbacks, sewage disposal, etc. and how these will affect your building project.
4. Budget – You need to be very clear about the overall cost of building your home and include additional “hidden” costs such as surveying, design, landscaping and permit fees.
5. Technical Aspects – Consider all constraints of the building site such as wind and sun exposure, septic field capacity and access.
6. Evaluation – Be sure to match your dream home with your budget and what you can afford.
7. Drawing Process – It is recommended that you leave this to the professionals. Be sure to go over the blueprints with the building designer to make changes before they are finalized.
8. Design Development – Here is where the dimensions and other technical building details come into play. Pay attention to details and discuss any questions regarding the technical aspects with the builder.
9. Working Drawings – This is the final stage of the planning phase and working drawings should include detailed specifications for materials and construction.
10. Understand Your Contract – Read your contract and understand it. Ask questions and understand the contract before signing on the dotted line.
You need to plan and be actively engaged with the builder/designer to make sure your new dream home is a stress free and exciting experience. Good luck!